Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is often a result of incomplete burning of natural gas or other organic substances.
Carbon monoxide, even in low concentrations, can be deadly (refer to table below.) This dangerous gas displaces oxygen in the air and in your blood, thereby depriving your heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. Carbon monoxide can kill in a matter of minutes, therefore, it is important to have CO detection units installed in your home. If you suspect carbon monoxide levels within your home, call 911!
|Concentration Level*||Effects of CO Poisoning||Comments|
|0 - 1 PPM||none, no symptoms||considered to be normal background levels|
|1 - 9 PPM||none - monitor air closely||maximum indoor air quality - short term|
|9 - 35 PPM||minimal effects possible over time||OSHA - 8 hour limit|
|35 - 100 PPM||flu like symptoms, headache||mild exposure, but potentially dangerous|
|100 - 200 PPM||dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting||OSHA - 15 minute exposure limit|
|200 - 400 PPM||frontal headache, fatigue||medium exposure, but not safe to occupy|
|400 - 800 PPM||unconsciousness, brain damage||extreme exposure, life threatening after 3 hrs.|
|800 - 1600 PPM||nausea, convulsions, death||very dangerous and hazardous - death 1 hr.|
|12, 000 PPM||death in 1 to 3 minutes||extremely hazardous environment|